Olive Oil Ice Cream
Yields about 3 ½ cups
1 ¾ cups whole milk
¼ cup heavy cream
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
½ cup plus 2 tbsp. sugar
4 large egg yolks
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
Ice cream maker
- Bring milk, cream, salt and ½ cup sugar just to simmer in a medium saucepan, stirring to dissolve sugar, remove from heat.
- Wisk egg yolks and 2 tbsp. sugar in a medium bowl until pale, about 2 minutes.
- Gradually whisk ½ cup hot milk mixture in saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thick enough to coat the pack of a wooden spoon, 2-3 minutes.
- Strain custard through a fine-mesh sieve into a medium bowl set in a large bowl of ice water; whisk in oil.
- Let cool, stirring occasionally.
- Process custard in an ice cream maker.
- Transfer ice cream to an airtight container, cover, and freeze until firm, at least 4 hours.
Plan it out: ice cream can be made one week ahead. Keep frozen.
Recipe Provided by UAA Culinary Arts
Taken from: Bon Appétit
Recipe by Larry McGuire